Elizabeth M. Alexander, MD
Board Certified Adult Psychiatry
Welcome to my North Seattle psychiatric practice!
I have maintained a private psychiatric practice in North Seattle since 2006. I graduated from the University of Washington Medical School in 1980, and then spent 20 years as a board certified family practice doctor. In 2002 I changed careers, and began a second residency (specialty training) in psychiatry at the University of Washington. I opened my North Seattle private practice in 2006. In my spare time, I enjoy walking, swimming, spending time with my family, and reading.
I offer consultation and ongoing treatment for adults, ages 21-60, in the following areas:
- Anxiety disorders (including OCD and PTSD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- ADHD/ADD that has been associated with significant impairment since childhood or teens
- Distress caused by work, parenting, life transitions, or relationship conflict.
I am NOT equipped to treat the following problems, some of which require a team approach:
- Ongoing alcohol or substance abuse
- Psychotic conditions
- Ongoing serious self-harm
- Eating disorders as a primary focus
- Serious anger management problems
- Court-ordered or court-related evaluations
- Fitness-for-Duty or Return-to-Work evaluations (unless the person has already been in treatment with me).
- Disability evaluations
- Problems requiring urgent care, or ongoing 24/7 treatment
If you would like to request an appointment, please look at the your first visit page. For emergencies, please see the Emergency Resources section of my contact page.
If you are seeking help for a condition that is not listed above, please leave me a voicemail with detailed information, and my assistant or I will get back to you.
My treatment approach is to start with a thorough assessment.
Then we mutually determine whether further treatment is needed, and if so, whether treatment will involve medication, psychotherapy, or both. In many cases, I provide psychotherapy for my patients. In some cases, I refer to other psychotherapists. We also address lifestyle factors such as exercise, sleep, and stress management, which are the foundation for mental wellness.
This site was created by Emily Cain. Background photo published by Wikimedia Commons user Iamsridhar under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. All other content © 2014 Elizabeth Alexander.